dimanche, juin 11, 2006

buzzzzz....

The one thing that I can't stand about summers in France is the buzzing around my appartment!!!! Not the worst part, the worst is while you're trying to fall asleep and you hear the whining of the miiiiisquito! Evil little buggers!

It's hot and as there isn't any AC (which I don't mind, I don't like it that much anyway) and I don't have a fan so I keep my window open all the time for as much air as possible.

The only problem is that I don't have a screen on my window. Why is that? Well apparently ça n'existe pas... I have never seen one on a window in France and I can't really understand why. Granted there aren't many bugs but still its kind of gross and buying a screen is a once-time purchase and they don't harm anything...

Anyone have any ideas why? I'm temped (after 2 summers spent swatting flies...) of getting myself some 2x4s, some mesh and doing a bit of bricolage around here...

4 commentaires:

deedee a dit…

We have screens on all of our windows. We got them as kits at an Auchan grocery store and they weren't that expensive. About 20-25 euros per window. They are the type of kits that fit any size window, and are on a framed spring system that go up and down. They were easy to install. Castorama has them, too, but they are way more expensive.
Good luck

Ksam a dit…

The majority of English people that I know here in Brittany have made their own just the way you said - by buying some mesh screening and some wood and then using a staple gun to put it all together.

It's a constant "argument" between Fab and I - I insist that when we build a house, we will have screens on the windows, he is 100% against them (too confining). Considering that we will be one day living on a farm, I think this is one battle I'm going to have to win - they are all over in the in-law's house, and the thought of them landing all over the food and kitchen after being around the cows (and their poo) disgusts me. Not to mention the little black dots of fly crap they leave over EVERYTHING - the table, the newspaper, the remote - yuck!

Anonyme a dit…

The other option might be some sort of netting over your bed area. I've been wanting to get us something of the sort for quite awhile now but still haven't gotten around to it yet. I know IKEA has them, but alas, I think the nearest IKEA to both of us is in Paris, which isn't any good. Hmmm...

MilkJam a dit…

hey Kim, my bed is actually a loft, so way hot in the summer, i tend to sleep on the clic-clac when it gets this hot... and for the other thing, they're gonna open up an Ikea in a suburb of Caen, Ifs! I'm not sure when yet but I think this fall or next spring! :-) happy dance!

for everyone else thanks for the input, its one thing that just drives me nuts (sam - how are screens confining?? strange...) i'll see what i can put together either at auchan or a bit of bricolage... ;-)

its hoooot!