jeudi, novembre 23, 2006

thanksgiving day 1


As tradition holds we celebrate Thanksgiving the day of (Thursday) with the Franco-American society of Caen and the sister-city programs. It is not a true Thanksgiving dinner in the when the menu is concerned but it is fun and the people who invite us are very nice. This year at my table was Natalie, Kristina and Charlie along with some other American study abroad students and a few Frenchies. Here are Natalie and I imitating Charlie and Kristina's pose :-)


After several glasses of that Beaujolais Nouveau... things started getting a little crazy... playing with the flags... etc :-)

There was a contest to see who could guess the number of buttons sewn onto a parachutest suit, alas none of us came close but lucky me I got a sausage! No, we're not dirty just crazy :-)


All clowning around aside it was a delightful evening, the people were so nice but what really touched my heart was a little old man giving a speech (in English!) about how thankful he was that the Americans came to Normandy. How he remembered the invasion as a child and how hurt he was when the US was attacked on September 11th. It was that day that he decided to learn English. He was so thoughtful and thankful and that in my mind is what Thanksgiving is all about.
Happy Thanksgiving! We celebrated the day itself tonight but we will continue the celebration with a real American menu tomorrow... I know I did some work today in the kitchen making my famous stuffing, cranberry sauce and more! Stay tuned for more stories to come!

Aucun commentaire: