mardi, septembre 05, 2006

deauville!


It has been a busy few days! Last Friday under grey skies and a nasty Novemberish wind the American Film Festival in Deauville opened and so on Saturday Mystery Guest and I braved the weather and went to scope out the starts J I have never seen a movie star up close (or far away for that matter!) so it was really exciting for me! The festival itself was interesting, but not the atmosphere I had imagined, it was only a really small part of the ritzy beach town that was devoted to the festival and unless you wanted to pay an arm and a leg to see the films there wasn’t that much to do.


We did, however, have the schedule for all the photo calls and press conferences so that’s how we got to see Edward Norton on Saturday, Josh Hartnett and Al Gore on Sunday! The photo calls are crazy, especially for big stars like Josh Hartnett, to see all these girls throwing themselves against the barrier screaming Josh! Josh! Pluhhleeezehhh! Was just a little beyond insane. Don’t get me wrong, I was thrilled to be a meter away from these big movie stars but at the same time I don’t think I could get that into someone I didn’t know, I wasn’t the pre-teen with the New Kids Block posters on her walls or the teenager who devoted her time to writing fan mail. Hello, just not my style. So I can safely say I wasn’t one of the screamers.



After Josh Hartnett we had a few hours to kill before Al Gore made his appearance for his documentary so we went into nearby Honfleur for a yummy crepe lunch. When we got back there was a 1/100th of the earlier crowd so we sat down to wait a bit. When Gore finally did make his appearance, we waited hoping he would come out into the open section to maybe take a picture or get an autograph. After a few minutes the security dude walked over to us and asked if we wouldn’t like to sit in on the press conference! There were so few people compared to the big stars that they let the general public in on the conference! It was so cool to be sitting there a few meters away from the rightfully elected President of America and listen to the Q&A from European and American reporters.




It was so interesting to hear about his environmental concerns and let me tell you, if a press conference is meant to advertise the film it worked for me! I just have to say that Gore is so intelligent and a great speaker. I just kept pinching myself thinking how lucky I was to be there listening to these ideas and I will for sure go see the film if it comes here! At the end as they security guys were leading him to the back room we went up for a few pictures and a French reporter was trying really hard to ask him one last question but as she asked in French he didn’t get it, so what did Mystery Guest do? Well just jumped right in there and translated for Gore! How cool is that?


The festival goes on for a few more days, and we plan on going back Friday for Emilio Estevez (you guys remember the Mighty Ducks??? haha) and Christian Slater. Then we might go back Saturday for Meryl Streep and Anne Hathaway. How funny is it to think that I’m seeing all these American stars for the first time in France?

2 commentaires:

Anonyme a dit…

if you end up feeling like hopping the river or something, let me know... we're just on the other side! ;)

Anonyme a dit…

I'm jealous!!!!!!!! I want to go to Deauville too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh what the heck, I am a film star as well!!