dimanche, avril 09, 2006

le memorial

Well after 3 years of living in Caen I decided to finally go and visit Le Mémorial. It is the most visited site in the city (located just outside of downtown, near one of my schools where I work) yet I had been lazy about going to see it.

All in all I'm really glad I went to go see it. What pushed me to go now is that they are having a temporary exhibition on Anne Frank for just a few more weeks and I wanted to catch that at the same time.

It was an great experience and a fabulous museum, not just about the war and the D-Day invasion (by the way the video on that is a must see! I almost left without seeing it and am glad I didn't!) but also a huge part on the Cold War. The museum is actually called the Museum of Peace and not a museum dedicated to WWII and that is clearly felt in the design and layout of the building.

If you come to Caen don't wait 3 years like I did! Go see the Mémorial! ;-)

*For those of you who are assistants with a carte professionale you can get reduced entry if you convince them that you are working on a lesson plan for your students. You can also get reduced entry if you say (and prove) you live in Caen. Student prices are not all that reduced but still helpful.

2 commentaires:

Ksam a dit…

I know, that museum is amazing! At first, we almost didn't go in because it was so expensive (18€!!), but we were really glad we did. We spent about 5 hours there, and it was extremely interesting. Definitely a must-see, despite the price.

MilkJam a dit…

yeah, for the caennais its only 5E :-D so I went and saw it all but plan on going back sometime for some things that I didn't spend as much time on...
pretty impressive!