mercredi, avril 01, 2009

sneaky me?

After all the hassle with my driver's license I decided to just try something for fun, see if I can try one last time to exchange it (even though my state does not exchange licenses...) so I stopped by the town hall after work yesterday and asked the woman.

She was pretty clueless (yea! that gave me hope!) and didn't really understand what I wanted (an international license? huh?) but when I explained again she asked to see my American one. I showed it to her and she saw Washington across the top. She looked on her list of states and said:

"That's in Virginia right?"

She mistook the confused look on my face for not understanding her French and explained again,

"Washington, that's in Virginia right"

I realized that she thought my license was from Washington D.C. and saw this as my opportunity to try to slip one by her.

"Oh, yes of course, it's in Virginia!"

She made all sorts of photocopies, had me fill in the exchange document and told me to come back with pictures etc. (haha, showed her! I carry pictures with me at all times!) So she said she'd process it and let me know when it would be done.

Oh my god, fingers crossed! If this works I think I'll jump for joy!!! Trying not to get too excited... but whoooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14 commentaires:

Jennie a dit…

LOL I love how clueless Frenchies are about Washington DC and Washington state. DC is a district, it does belong to any state! And no matter how many times I explain that, they still don't get it.

Vivi a dit…

Oh you sneaky thingie! I hope it works!! hee hee heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Anonyme a dit…

It's frightening the power these fonctionnaires have isn't it? It does make me think I need to be more persistent though when dealing with them! Each fonctionanire to their law and all that.

Justin a dit…

Oh I hope that works! My prefecture seemed pretty clueless too when it came to my license exchange, as long as I responded to their demands with some sort of an answer they seemed to be ok... my fingers are crossed for you.

Anonyme a dit…

Oohhhh how exciting! Good luck!

Anonyme a dit…

That's awesome! Maybe I will give it a try myself...

Anonyme a dit…

this is an april fool's joke, isn't it?

Jess in Brisbane a dit…

I hope for your sake it's not an April fools!

Katie a dit…

good luck! I hope that she doesn't double check the location lol!

Megan a dit…

Good luck! I hope it works for you! That would save so much hassle.

au soleil levant a dit…

I'm going with the April Fool's idea. Good one! It would be nice if it were true though.

MilkJam a dit…

oohhhhh i cast out my line and reeled in a WHOLE bunch of april fishes!!! ;-)

yes, sadly this was indeed an april fool's joke, even though i really wish it were true!!

there was a little bit of truth to this story, when i first moved to normandy i stopped by to see if i could exchange my license and the women did believe i was from Washington D.C. and was highly confused and I had to explain it all to her...

but no, off to take the code I go... the hard way!! (damn you exchanging-license state people!!!)

Anonyme a dit…

Oh shoot! I thought you'd scored. Too bad. Good luck for the code test.

JChevais a dit…

Dude. I had to redo my license here too. Because I'm not from Quebec or Saskatchewan (WTF?).

Sigh.

I passed both the code and the driving exam on the first try though. Does that give you hope?...