lundi, janvier 30, 2006

mini-lighthouse?

I just finished a private tutoring and while talking to her I remembered a funny story from yesterday...

Well funny for those of you who speak French (just to be warned)

My car vocab in English and esp in French is very weak... So while driving home last night I was asked how to say "high beams" in English, got me to thinking about the word for "headlights" in French.

I realized that I learned the word for headlights in French (les phares) not that long ago and that when I learned it I had a mental picture of a car with two big lighthouses on the front (its the same word in French, lighthouse and headlights)... Isn't that mental picture funny? Or is it just me? Anyway I got the giggles yesterday thinking about that and then again today while telling the story. Need to photoshop that, a car with 2 lighthouses on the front tee hee

'Course as it was pointed out to me, lighthouses on the front of your car wouldn't be all that practical as the lights spin so would make driving a little disco-y... hehehe I'm still giggling all alone! :)

4 commentaires:

Ksam a dit…

I always thought headlights were "feu", as in t'as pas eteint tes feux (or is that feu???). At least that's what I always hear people say.

Anonyme a dit…

Both can be said. To be thorough, les phares, is the word you use to talk about the lights of a car in general.Feu is short for feu de croisement (head lights), and phare ou plein phare is the equivalent of high beams. So when you say to someone that they haven't turn off their lights, it's correct with both feu or phare :)

Ksam a dit…

Thanks, masked avenger!

Anonyme a dit…

No pb ! ;)