Agah! Job crisis!
This is SOOOO complicated and I don't know what to do... let me explain:
I have a job at a private school, they finally just gave me my contract. There are, however, some problems. One is that I'll be paid less per hour than expected (around 15e/h before taxes instead of 20) because I'll get the remainder at the end of my contract. I also get paid for the hours I actually work each month (instead of adding them up and dividing them out per month...) So September I'm only working 2 hours a week (you do the math!)
The advantages are:
1. But having a job (like this one) allows me to do some extra hours at the university for 45e/h (but just found out today that I'll get all of those hours in a lump sum at the end of my contract, maaaaybe at the end of each semester if I'm lucky.) It also allows me to do some side jobs at the university (notably scripting BBC broadcasts that I've been doing for the past 2 years and working during the April break for cha-ching!)
2. The private school basically said I could have a full time job if things go well this year (a full time job - CDI - would allow me to wrap up my application for citizenship and allow me to apply for a loan at the bank for a car/house)
3. The school is really nice, good atmosphere among the admin staff and the students.
The disadvantages are:
1. I'll be making peanuts all year long, ie not enough to pay rent or my train ticket from V-town to Caen, but I have enough savings to be ok.
2. It's far away and to feel like you're loosing money by commuting seems silly. I could be working chez McDo and making more...
I'm just not sure what to do, I mean knowing I'll get money at the end of the year is good, but I feel like I'm making a career move backwards even if maybe its a yearlong sacrifice for a better situation in the future.
What should I do? I just thought of maybe backing out, hoping for a recrutee locale job in this area (I'm sure there must be some) as an assistant and make about 750e a month after taxes and then still be able to do my Uni job - but I wouldn't find out until mid-October! This could be good because I just read on the assistant's forum that if you've worked (and are still working) for the Education Nationale for 3 years you can pass the CAPES interne which is easier than the normal one (the competative exam to become a full time teacher) but you can't legally take the job if you aren't an EU citizen...
Gah, I just don't know what to do!!! I thought that now that I have my full carte de sejour with all the rights (through the PACS) it would simplify the job situation, but its all so complicated!!
I have until the end of September to back out of this job if I want to... but do I want to be unemployed? I guess I could get chomage...