dimanche, avril 24, 2011

spring veggies

A couple of weeks ago I heard about a group nearby that organizes the sale of organic fruits/veggies/dairy/meat products. It's actually not a co-op, no fee to join and no minimum to buy per week/month. Before the end of the day on Sunday each week you need to go online (via google docs - love it!) and indicated what you want. Then on Friday evening between 6-7pm you go to a little organic dairy farm and pick up your goodies.

The last 2 weeks I've only bought the veggie basket. It is 10 euros for the small basket - that's a picture of week 1's basket which included: leeks, parsley, spinach, part of a celery root, carrots, new potatoes & bigger potatoes, cauliflower and a head of lettuce! You got to start getting creative cooking all that! The only downside for me with the system is that the pick up time is Friday night and I hate going shopping on Saturday. That means that I need to try to anticipate what might be in there and what things I might be able to cook without having to run to the store.

This Friday there was a HUGE bag of spinach, radishes, lettuce, potatoes, carrots and leeks. Saturday I was near a grocery store and wanted to try a new recipe so I did stop in (ugg... shopping on the Saturday of Easter weekend? Yuck.) Yesterday I made a spinach and feta quiche - YUM!!!!!!!!! It was soooo tasty!!! I'll be making that one again!

Just need to figure out what to do with the rest.... humm.

3 commentaires:

L a dit…

http://www.jamieshomecookingskills.com/recipe.php?title=spring-vegetable-bean-soup
This recipe is a good way to use a lot of veggies. Haven't tried it yet, but it looks good! You can probably substitute according to what you have. Plus it's Jamie Oliver!

MilkJam a dit…

good idea!!! i might give that a try (mixed of course... soooomeone doesn't like chunky soups....)
:-)

Villas in France a dit…

I was going to say the same thing - soup all the way! Just chuck it all in the pot, blend it, and then my secret is to put in a dollop of cream cheese. Nom!

Lovely blog by the way :)