jeudi, juillet 13, 2006

london baby (well stansted...)

Well we had decided to take the cheapest tickets possible to Croatia… well this involved a somewhat complicated journey… on the way there we went Paris – Budapest – Dubrovnik and then on the way back it was Split – Krakow – London then I spent the night there and flew out the next morning to Tours and then a train back to Caen! Whew!! Busy trip!

It was really fun to go to England for a day though, even though it isn’t very far from Normandy I never go as the transportation there is expensive and just daily life in England is way beyond pricy!! So I took full advantage of my short stay! After a stressful change in Krakow airport (mental note, do not ever change there again!) we arrived Saturday afternoon in London, Stansted. As my flight the next day was early in the morning we decided to stay in the area, we found the nearest hostel in the town of Harlow (about 15 minutes on the train). So we quickly dropped off our stuff and made a beeline for Cambridge, only 45 minutes away. We spent a fantastic afternoon in Cambridge, after walking around for a bit (with the required stop at Marks & Spencers for some cream cheese!) we headed towards the river.

Louise had always wanted to go punting (does this sound like a dirty word to anyone else???) and we found a good deal, 10 pounds for students. Punting is actually a river boat ride, like a Venetian gondola if you will. We were in a long flat boat and the chauffeur guided it along the river by pushing through with a long pole. We went all along the river seeing the main sights of the different colleges dating from the 13th century!

I swear some of the things Louise and I did on our trip were far too romantic, so of course some good boytalk was in order! J After our punt (tee hee still sounding dirty!) we went off in search of some dinner, all I wanted was food that I wouldn’t be able to get back in France so we settled on some pubgrub in supposedly the best pub in Cambridge!

Settling down we ordered some fish & chips (my 1st time! Couldn’t believe I used to be a fish & chips virgin!) and some local beer. While we were watching the 1st half of the Germany-Portugal match a nice English guy offered the two of us tourists another round, in exchange for Louise’s email address and a promise to play tennis the next time we were in town! Lol!

Not wanting to go home too late in the dark we left after half-time to catch the train.

It was a great way to spend a short amount of time in the UK, very British eh?

In other news, I’m all done moving. I’ve got all my furniture down in my new apartment but it was a real puzzle trying to make it fit. I’ve got tons of boxes all over the place and I’ve got a lot of work ahead of me but I love my new place! It’s so cute! And I really do feel like it’s a lot bigger! I guess 8 extra square meters really does make a difference! Once I get all my crap organized I’ll take some pictures to show it off! J God, typing this at home just to save it to send in a few days really isn’t the same thing! A computer sans internet seems in a way so useless! I mean I guess its good for looking at all my pictures! hehehe

Aucun commentaire: