vendredi, juillet 08, 2011

payday shock

I finally got paid today for the substitute teaching I did for the last 2 weeks of June. It was the second time I was a substitute teacher but the first time doing it in the private sector.

Mystery Guest had asked me at the beginning of my contract with them how much I'd be earning... I didn't know, I assumed it was fairly well paid as I remember being pleasently surprised after being paid for my subsitute teaching in the public sector.

Alas I spoke with a friend yesterday who has been doing longterm subbing in the private sector for the last two years. She confirmed my worst fears - you get paid SMIC (minimum wage). Granted there are other "benefits" according to some forums when I was looking things up (you can get unemployment benefits after working in the private sector etc) but come on people - MINIMUM WAGE! They ask you to be at least Bac +3 and have teaching experience and then they pay you the same as a housekeeper or cashier (maybe even worse depending on where you are housekeeping or cashiering...)

Yeah, that's the last time I work for them. Come on, I'm Bac +5 (from a French uni) and have over 6 years teaching experience here in France. I think I'm going to rethink my plan of subbing in the fall and take the job teaching adults that was offered to me this spring. It's not paid well either for what it is and the qualifications that they ask for (20 euros an hour gross) but at least I can try to get as many hours as possible and make some money.

Cause 9 euros an hour isn't going to cut it.

4 commentaires:

Anonyme a dit…

i did not know that! eek.

deedee a dit…

I'm working a minimum wage job this summer. For sure I won't being doing this for the rest of my life. There are these companies that want to hire highly educated multi-lingual people and are surprised with the high turn-over rates they have. We (my collèges and I) will quit as soon as we can find something better paid.

Ksam a dit…

omg, that's crazy!!

MilkJam a dit…

I know, crazy right? Meredith, I can't believe with all your qualifications/experience you're suffering through a minimum wage job in the summer... boo!