vendredi, janvier 09, 2009

for you knitters out there...

I would like to start a new project and thought that socks would be a fun challenge, moving on from scarves, hats, arm warmers etc. My knitting projects turn out really well for the most part, but I've never tried anything where you have to gage... maybe I'll start with slippers ;-) if they're too big - no problem! haha

I've found some good tutorials online so I think I'll be ok, but everyone talks about sock yarn - where do I buy it in France?

Living out in V-town I think the best bet for me would be an online order, there aren't even that many yarn shops in Caen.

Any ideas? Something not too pricey as it would be my first test run...

5 commentaires:

Anonyme a dit…

Coucou ma fille ! I love knitting socks, and you're right, sock yarn is sort of hard to come by and there aren't so many choices on this side of the pond. I often order sock yarn from leslaines.com. Just click on "laines à chaussette Regia" in the left column. You'll probably want 4 fils (4 ply) yarn, that's what I use and I very nearly always get gauge on 2.5 mm needles. If you have a Bergère de France near you, you can try their sock yarn called Cho'7 (say it outloud, I think it's cute!). I've bought some but I haven't knit them up yet.

Of course if you know a kind soul back home, ask them to send you some "Socks that Rock," that yarn is lovely!

MilkJam a dit…

yea!!! thanks!!! how many pelotes do you think you need for a pair? 1? 2? there's some really pretty one that's bamboo http://www.leslaines.com/produit1204-116/REGIA-Bambou-Color

oh, wait maybe it answered my question, on the site it says for that yarn its 100g per pair of socks, so at 50g a pelote that makes sense.

any other advice? :-)

Anonyme a dit…

Ooh, how interesting....
...I knit my first soft toy at Christmas to learn how to cast on, cast off, add, tae off stitches etc..and now I feel ready to go it alone (without my mum at my side picking up stitches! hehe)

I'm going to knit a cushion cover soon, what wool do I have to ask for in a French shop? I think my mum said I should try double knitting wool but I don't know if you know what this is as it's the British termonology...what should I ask for in a French shop?

Mercy buckets, Emmy

benny a dit…

Unfortunately, I havent found any merceries in Dubai, i'm so loosing my knitting touch :-(
Keep us updated how the sock project goes!

MilkJam a dit…

@emmy i would just go into any yarn shop and explain your project, they're always really nice and can recommend the right yarn for your project (I've never heard of "double" knitting wool, must be a britishism ;-) )

good luck! hope the project turns out well!!

@benny oh no! no knitting for you! i remember getting all excited in the yarn shop with you :-) i think the ladies thought we were crazy! haha