vendredi, mars 14, 2008

foodie

Mystery Guest went fishing last week and brought back this beautiful rainbow trout! It was 30cm long and went straight from the river to my plate! Lucky me he doesn't like fish :-) I decided to post about it partly to show him how cool his catch was and partly inspired by These Days in a French Life and "meet your meat" in March. I didn't really meet this fish while he was still alive but it was the first time I've ever had to cut a whole fish apart to cook it. (Thankfully Mystery Guest gutted the poor thing first, I'm not sure if I could handle doing that...) So I did my best and decided to steam it in the oven with some olive oil and sea salt. I didn't have time that day to eat it but the next day I cut up the meat into small chunks and mixed them with pasta, a little creme fraiche (straight from the market!) and lots and lots of lemon juice - YUM!
My other culinary challenge this week was an attempt to try to reproduce the AMAZING pizza we had in Venice. The difference with this pizza was the huge fluffy crust. This was not a dense, boring pizza crust, this was crusty on the outside, light and delicious on the inside... When I tried it in Venice I decided it had to be a focaccia dough that they used... so I turned to my wonderful cookbook and looked up their *best* recipe.
It was very simple to follow, the only problem was of course the waiting - as you would with all yeast breads and the very very sticky dough! But it rose beautifully and I let it cool for a bit while waiting for Mystery Guest and the pizza toppings.
Here is the finished product. I put the toppings on after the dough was already baked and just let them sit under the broiler for 5 minutes to get all melty and gooey.
I have to say for a 1st attempt this was very very close to what we had in Venice and delicious! I can't wait to try again soon :-)
Plus the cool thing is that it was way cheap to make, I'd say about 4euros for the whole pizza... just time consuming but hey what better way to procrastinate?

Aucun commentaire: