vendredi, juillet 09, 2010

Frenchified

Today I dropped off my file to ask to be naturalized a French citizen. I asked for several different reasons, many of them private but mostly because I really feel that France has become my home, its where I became a grown up.

The procedure itself has changed since July 1st. This basically gives the local government much more power over the decision rather than just processing the file. Now the local government gives a yes or no answer, passes along the file to the national government who validates it.

The main reason for this change is that in the past it used to take 12-18 months to hear back. Now because everything is done when you first drop off the file it is supposed to speed up the process and not have the national government re-do all the work that the local government had already done. They said it should cut things down to 8-9 months! If it's under a year I'll consider that progress!

So its all out of my hands now, the guy was really positive sounding and said that there shouldn't be any reason why things don't work out. The only thing I can think of is that I only have a CDD (temp contract) and not a "real" job with a CDI contract but we totalled up all my jobs and in the 6.5 years that I've been here I've worked a total of 5.5 years. Basically all those summers I was between jobs added up to around 1 year but that's not bad.

And now the wait begins... fingers crossed!

4 commentaires:

Brittany a dit…

Crossing my fingers for you too!

It was fun to talk to you today!

Anonyme a dit…

Wow! That's a good change. I had to go up in front of the prefecture de police for my citizenship. Good luck and I'm sure all will work out.

Megan a dit…

Good luck. Hope everything is in order and they don't send the file back, like they did for me.

MilkJam a dit…

thanks everyone! hopefully things will go ok, the guy seemed to think everything was in order. I'm not worried that I'll get it sent back as he actually registered it then and there... now begins the wait!